Sunday, January 09, 2005

Why does it snow?

I am looking out my window and it seems as if the gods are shaking their heads and all dandruff is falling towards to the ground (ewww). It's absolutely miserable outside - I guess it means that staying inside (which isn't a bad thing) is the next best thing. I ask myself, "why does it snow?" Well, Veevek, snow falls from clouds that contain enough cloud droplets and ice crystals for precipitation to form. In order for snow to reach the ground without melting, the wet bulb temperature of the air near the ground must be below freezing. The wet bulb temperature is the temperature measured by a thermometer that has a little wet sock covering the bulb before it is swung in a circle in the air. Thus, you can have snow fall reaching the ground even when the air temperature is slightly above freezing. Yes, thanks Veevek. Now I can see why people think thta I drone on about things that really don't matter or things that just so insignificant. The next "fun fact" will be about how vacuum cleaners work.

Okay, I am stepping away slowly from the previous line of thought. Hopefully, it will jilt my brain into a more coherent thought process.

The house has been feeling full for the past couple of days because of Hasit's presence. It's great to have everyone back under one roof, even though it is only for a few days. When I picked up Hasit, it was great to see his big smile again. His presence is something that really picks me up. We have spent the morning listening to music, catching up on each other lives', and planning what sort of trouble we will be making this weekend. MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Seriously, my brother's arrival is a Swan's Song, so to speak. His arrival means that the entire family is back together under one roof; the sad thing is that it will be a very long time till the 4 of us are back together. The arrival of this weekend has always been in my head - thinking of what will happen, will the tension in the house go away, or will it increase as there are a bit of unsaid emotions and things to be said and discussed. But for the time being, I am trying to enjoy what little time remains, as Hasit leaves for Ottawa tomorrow morning at 10:10am.

God damn...I hate winter. Hmm, let me clarify. I hate the ugly side of winter - the brown snow accumulating on the roads, the intensified levels of road rage, the inability for a relatively new car to stay heated, and how I seem to be the only shoveling the snow from the driveway and sidewalk. On the other hand, winter has its good points - skiing (which I wasn't able to do last year as I was living in Kenya, and this year because I wasn't able to manage my time wisely between the things that I wanted to do on the weekends), warm beverages, great foods that are high in carbohydrates and fats, and wearing clothes that just feel oh-so gooooooood!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, what music were you listening to? Some Raghav?

Anita