Monday, January 10, 2005

Raghav

...yes, this post is about Raghav - the new Indo-Canadian sensation that has been breaking the charts in Asian influenced music in the UK and around the world. (Thanks Anita for bringing me out of the 'Raghav' closet - I am definitely going to need your support)

Raghav Mathur, otherwise known as Raghav in the music world, is someone that I knew when I was much younger. My cousin, Neha, and I used to sing bhajans (devotional songs) at the Calgary Hindu Mandir. Raghav used to sing there as well. In fact, there were a number of competitions where Raghav and I competed side-by-side. I remember reciting the Gayatri Mantra and Shanti Path. Raghav came in first for the Gayatri Mantra (I came in second) and I came in first for Shanti Path (he came in second). We also had the same Indian classical music guru, Nishi Kant Bali. I never really thought that I would make a career out of classical music (or in Raghav's case, music in general). I still see his parents' at the Mandir - very simple people. Everytime I see his video on B4U or some other desi channel or BBC UK music, I think of how much work he has done to get where he is now. That aside, he needs to work on his dancing - he has the same move over and over again. Then again, he isn't getting the big bucks to dance. My good friend, Rabia, sent me Raghav's CD "Storyteller". It's a pretty good album - my favourite song on it is "Ain't Nobody". It has this definite gujju beat which is always a good thing. Yes, I am a part of the "che-che" linguistic group - are you happy Anita?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great Veevek. I know you love Raghav as much as me! The proverbial Raghav-closet that you were is not as good a place as the world of Raghav-love. HA! I am such a loser. I just love the fact that we have some local Indian talent that has made it big. Too bad you are going to Australia.... because then I could use you (*sorry*) as my 'connection' to the world o'Raghav.

BTW, meeting Ruth on Tuesday morn for lunch, if you are free, lets get together. Give me a call, or call Ruth, or just come by the office at 11am.

Pace!

Anita

Neha said...

hey cuz, guess what? i got a copy of his 1.5 release, storyteller 'unplugged'. that's right, just our man, some tablas, and a harmonium. i posted it on bollywood torrents but alas all the bit torrent networks just shut down thanks to legal issues so i'm gonna have to find a another way to get it to you. just for the record, i would have purchased it instead of doing the illegal thang but alas he is nowhere to be found this side of the pond...