Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Off again!

WOO HOO!

I’ve just paid off my ticket to Europe! I’m going over for my brother’s wedding, at least that’s the main purpose of the trip. The main event will be held in my future sister-in-law’s home town of Uppsala, which is Sweden; a week later, there will be an Indianised reception in Leicester, UK. The UK reception will be unique because it will be the reception of two couples. One of my cousins in the UK (who is the same age as my brother) just got married last week and so instead of having a reception where only parts of the family can come, they thought that they could ‘tag-team’ it was my brother’s so that more of the family (if not all) will be able to make it.

I still have to get approval from the SOM. Regardless of what they say, I’m still coming – don’t you worry. They are being extremely particular about this whole process. Another friend of mine is going to Canada for two weddings and the SOM didn' t require any documentation from her. Meanwhile, I have to provide the kankotari (Indian wedding invitations) for proof that the wedding and receptions are indeed occurring on the dates that I’ve already indicated. The SOM has a policy, which states: “blah blah blah”. Yeah, it's really that important.

I’ll be arriving in Paris on August 17th (so for those of you in and around Paris, make sure to dust off the good shoes and wine glasses because Veevek is ready to paint the town red!). I’ll be in London for my 27th birthday and fly off to Stockholm that same day. I guess I will be able to say that I’ve been able to celebrate my birthday is two different countries! Now that's something that I can cross of the list of things to have done in my life.

I’ll be in Sweden near the end of August and then I’ll be off to the UK to partake in a massive immersion with the Thankey family. I can’t wait! The last time that everyone (and I mean everyone from my father's side) was together was when my grandfather passed away in 1991. At least this time, it will be for a much happier and joyous occasion. There have been two new additions to the family since 1991. On a completely different note, I hope that my two cousins from Germany are able to come. Since the Thankey Clan is quite spread out (37 people living in 4 countries, three continents), so it takes a pretty big occasion to bring everyone together. And as I wrote before, due to the fact that my brother and cousin are actually having a joint reception, there should be no reason for any family member to be absent.

After the celebrations and pomp in the UK, I’ll be heading off to Helsinki, Finland for the World Congress of the International Physician for the Prevention of Nuclear War (http://www.ippnw2006.org). One of my best friends, Ruth, will also be there. So, if there are any of you out there that have been to Finland before, then please do let me know what the hot spots in Helsinki are in terms of eating, drinking, shopping and nightlife.

hmmm...It's 6 June 2006. Whatever. My thoughts have been wound up tight over my upcoming midyear exam. It's only 3 hours (from 17h45 to 20h45) and covers the last 18 weeks, including whatever topics that might have been touched upon in first year. I'm not particularly worried about the exam - I just want to do well enough. Speaking of the devil, I need to get back to it. Today is all about respiratory pathology and then a subtle handover to gastrointestinal and metabolism will happen at some point today. Hmmm...there is also skin pathology that I do need to go over as well, not to mention ethics, population/public health and some past exam papers. Ahhh...what you can do in a week's time. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So sad...I'll be back in New York when you arrive. :-(