Monday, June 12, 2006

Exam? There's an exam?!

It's Monday morning and my midyear exam is tomorrow in approximately 31.5 hours. Yeah, I'm not counting down. This time last year, I was so stressed out. I remember having to go get some medication refilled and the GP wanted to take my bloodpressure (this is after him finding out that I am a med student and that my exam was coming up). My blood pressure was 150/90. For most people that is a set of numbers that mean really nothing. Usually, my BP is around 120/80 (usually lower). And this year, I've decided to screw the BP checks and make sure that I dont' drink as much coffee (only 1-2 cups per day and some days I'll even go without a cuppa), and not stress too much about things that I can't necessarily control.

So, where is the post going? Well, tomorrow is my midyear exam and even though I've looked at all the notes that I've made, gone through majority of the past exam papers, gone through the work that my study group has produced, I'm still not feeling satisfied about my knowledge base for the exam. If I fail (last year, 60% of the 2nd year cohort failed the exam), then I know that it's not the end of the world, because the midyear is an internal assessment. The end of year finals and MSAT are what the med school uses to determine whether you can go on to 3rd year. It's odd considering that the same thing happened in undergrad. There were some courses that I just do absolutely awful (read: organic chemistry) on the midterms but then pull something no less than a miracle on the finals.

So, about this exam...yeah. I'm over it. Here's to after the exam! There is an afterparty at M's lounge (LUDO). It will be nice to hang out with people and not feel guilty for doing so. I tell you, there is only so much guilt a person can handle. Also, I can finally do things that I've put off for such a long time - go out with mates, do some much needed shopping (i.e. to iPOD or not to iPOD) and have time to myself without having to worry about the mechanism of pathophysiology of pud's disease or something. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha ha
you said pud's disease....lol
TKPM
ps. thanks for the coffee today dude...long overdue eh!? will line ya up for some PMD's when you get back from travels.

Anonymous said...

TOTALLY iPod! It was my best purchase EVER, no doubt about it.

Anita