Friday, February 04, 2005

Could you step aside...

…this seemed to be the theme for Saturday night. Perhaps, I should start from the very beginning.

Friday night’s debauchery was indeed foreshadowing as to what will come. Saturday morning I was awoken by the dancing sunlight that shone through my window and landed upon my bed. It was indeed a great way to be woken up, as opposed to someone switching on the lights (when it is pitch black outside) and tearing off the thick warm duvets off your body (this method was used by my dad when I slept through my alarm – this was during high school, which was many years ago). Regardless, I had a wonderful morning, which was spent over a good breakfast and the local newspaper. Around 11am, I got a call from a friend (we will call him Dave). PseudoDave (this is not Dave) was having a bbq at his place and they wanted me to come over. I tell you, these Aussies are hardcore! I arrived there and everyone looked quite lethargic but the atmosphere was awesome. We all shared some good laughs about the night before. Normally, there is alcohol at barbeques, but this time, water was the beverage of choice.

The bbq lasted for a couple of hours and I headed back to my place, hoping to sort out the remaining unpacking fiasco. I have a huge desk with no drawers or other compartments. At the moment, all my textbooks, leisure books and knick knacks are placed on the left side, while photos are on the right. My laptop sits in the middle. This means that I have no room to open my huge ass Moore’s Anatomy or Sherwood’s Human Physiology textbooks. Spatial arrangement was something that I will have to master, along with cardiovascular anatomy and physiology (edit: the desk has been cleared and organized in a fashion that Martha Stewart would have approved).

Oh, back to the story. So, Saturday afternoon was spent getting the room organized and doing laundry. On Friday night, a bunch of us made plans to go to a club, in the Valley, called Family. It was voted the 2004 Australian’s Best Bar/Club. We met up at Family. Some of the group went in early as they had their own transportation to the place. Myself and 3 other people took Brisbane’s wonderful public transportation system (seriously, it is really good) to Brunswick St. After making our way to Family, we queued up and presented our Australian ID/foreign passports. Two other people and I were able to get in but one of my friends wasn’t able to. Okay, for those of you that are living in Calgary will know that Calgary is anal about IDs and that sort of thing. You haven’t seen anything yet until you come to Brisbane! HOLY SHOOT! Seriously. Most clubs/bars require Australian ID – driver’s license/birth certificate/18+ card – or passports (NOTE: foreign driver’s licences are a useless piece of ID down here). Now, I don’t know about y’all but I don’t want to be carrying around my passport to the bars. Also, most bars/clubs have signs that say “Managements has the right to refuse entry”, which basically means that if you aren’t who they are looking for, then you don’t get to go in. So, the bouncer and the girl that was checking people’s IDs and style told us that our one friend couldn’t get in. He was dressed in a white collared shirt, jeans and tan shoes. You’d think that that would be okay. No. In the beginning, they said that his shirt and shoes weren’t good enough. We were a bit taken aback. The bouncer told us that we should come back in about 30 minutes and he will see what he can do. In the meantime, the group that came with this friend decided to go to another place (RG Hotel), while the group that was in Family went back inside. At RG, each one of us shouted a round and 5 rounds later, we decided to try our chances at Family. We got back to Family and were told that the one guy still wouldn’t be able to get in. I called a friend inside the club and she brought down one of my friend’s shirt (he was already inside the club). He changed his shirt (and now he looked more dressy than I did) and the girl who was checking the ID told him, “Could you step aside?” He was so frustrated and rightfully so. After talking to the bouncer, who wouldn’t let him in because he still didn’t have the right shoes, I asked him if there was anything else besides the shoes. The bouncer said no and he said that even if he did change the shoes, he still wouldn’t be able to let him in because his sense of style didn’t match the club’s. MOTHER OF GOD! I would have felt humiliated and quite pissed off. We gathered the rest of the crew that was inside the club and headed off to a few other places in the Valley. Nevertheless, the night was a lot of fun. I made new friends, saw and experienced a different part of Brisbane’s nightlife.

Sunday morning, however, was a different story. I have never had a hangover – never. I mean my mouth might be dry but I have never felt the after shocks of a night of drinking (I can say that with confidence because I had to do a presentation in my Problem-Based Learning group about how alcohol is metabolised and it’s effect on the body). But, the when I pressed down on the area of the liver, it was tender! I have never had that feeling before – ever. Good god. I was indeed a sign that I should lay off some of the alcohol for a bit (well, at least until the next huge party, which is a Keg Party that the University of Queensland Medical Society is hosting on Friday). Sunday was a chill day – I realized that the first week of uni has gone by and that I was one week closer to becoming Dr. Veevek Thankey. (oh my god, if that wasn’t melodrama, then I don’t know what is!)

Alright, I have spent enough time not doing work - I need to get on my cardiovascular anatomy and physiology.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Veevek,
Your blog is really interesting and keeps me up to date with all that goes on with your life, but if you spent even half the time do you writing blogs on personal emails the world would be a much better place!

Guess Who....

Anonymous said...

I have now realized the only method of communication you deal with is blog messages! Since this discovery, i have decided to " keep in touch" in blog form! What i need you to do is send me info on my country (i guess you probably know who it is now) as there is only a couple more weeks until the conference!
Besos y abrazos