Monday, January 29, 2007

2 months...shit

I can't believe that I've left this blog fallow for 2 months! I do apologies for this. The update of this blog has been in the works for quite some time. However, a number of things have come up such that I have not had the time (nor the energy) to put into this.

Well, where am I at now?

1. I passed 2nd year! WOOHOO! I am so glad that I don't have to do 2nd year medicine again. It's the groin of hell and I wouldn't wish 2nd year upon any of my worst enemies.

2. The rest of my trip (last time I wrote, I was in Laos) was absolutely amazing! I travelled in Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Thailand. I will be posting photos soon (just give me some time). I rediscovered things about myself and made new connections with the friends that I was travelling with.

3. My time spent in Calgary was abbreviated. I spent Christmas there and then I flew to the UK for a week and then came back to Calgary for a week. I was able to see Vinay, Bhavisha, Bhairavi and H, which was absolutely amazing. I wasn't able to meet up with many friends (I know who you were and you know that you in my books for the next time that I come to Calgary). Then again, most of my time was spent between family and getting errands done before leaving back for Brisbane.

4. The aforementioned trip to the UK was not for shits & giggles. I went to the UK for a family funeral. My dad's younger brother passed away from a serious heart attack. It was unexpected and quite difficult for the family to deal with. My time in the UK was surrounded by the people that I loved (not everyone was able to make it but you know that were there in spirit). The experience was cathartic, humbling, and an eye-opener. Many tears and laughs were shared. To my family, wherever you are, you know that I'm with you.

5. I'm back in Brisbane, having finished my first week of my mental health rotation. I was quite apprehensive about starting this rotation because of the uncertainty that shrouds this line of work. This week will be interesting as I am based in the aged care unit, which means that I will be looking and interacting with patients that are older than 65 and have a history of schizophrenia, bipolar adjustment distoder, chronic depression, dementia, Alzheimer's, and a range of other mental health issues that affect the elderly.

No comments: