Monday, April 04, 2005

New York and back again...

It has been quite some time since I've posted (sorry about that). Things have been quite hectic with med school and getting ready for the conference in New York.

Well, first off - medical school is going well. I am catching up on the fed, resting, starvation, exericse states of metabolism (indeed very fun) and the PBL case that I missed while in NYC, which was all about anorexia nervosa.

Now, New York. I love that city. It is the one city in the USofA that I will fly over the oceans to visit. Speaking of flying over the oceans - it sucks! The flight from BNE to LAX (for those that don't speak airport code - a) get used to them because that's what I like to use; and b) you need to travel more) was almost 14.5 hours. I kept myself busy with reading Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Absolutely fantastic book! OH MOTHER OF GOD! I just realised that it is his autobiography. GOOD GOD! That changes everything. Yes, this is definitely a book that everyone needs to read. It is about a man who escape prison in New Zealand and finds himself in India working as many things, a doctor, smuggler, gunrunner, drug dealer, casting agent, and a fighter in the Russo-Afghan war, etc.

New York was phenomenal (yes, I alway said that). I was able to see some really good friends again (Christine, Peter, Deana, Erin, Rabia, Jen T, Radford, Kevin, Jake, Tracy, Amierah, JJ, Rachel, Renee) and I was able to make many new ones! I love those times where you can renew and strengthen your friendships with a number of people from all over the world; at the same time, you invest a bit of yourself into making new friends, in the hopes of it becoming as strong as the ones that you have created and cultivated.

Prior to leaving for NYC, I told myself that I would get most of my shopping (both clothes and other items that are unavailabe in Australia) in my free time. Shyeah right! There was no free time. Sorry, let me clarify. The free time that I had was after midnight and before 8am, which meant that Veevek got very little shopping done. I did manage to buy some underwear, socks, and a polo t-shirt from H&M (I can't begin to tell you how much I love that store). However, in the little free time that I did have, I made sure to give my liver a good workout and being in the company of those that make my spirit feel so much more free and livlier.

Also, one thing that I realised in NYC is that I don't deal well with cold. I really don't. It was below 10 degrees Centigrade most of the time with the occasional wet snow, freezing rain, and sleet. Yeah, no. I'd much rather prefer the sun shining with the occasional cool breeze that comes by and evaporates the sweat. Yep, that's what I like.

Now, I am back in Brisbane. The Easter holidays end today and I head back to uni tomorrow. I cannot wait to see my friends again. Indeed this break was all about rejuvination and trying to reclaim what I have lost while studying 6 days a week - my sanity.

The onset of classes also reminds me and my fellow class mates that the June exam is looming. This is a three-hour exam that I have to write in the middle of June right before my winter break. I'm starting week 10 tomorrow and have 9 more weeks left until exam day. This means that I have to get my ass into gear and revise the previous 9 weeks, while learning the new 9 weeks. Ahhh, this is the point where Mr. Thankey will have no social life...gotcha. :)

Oh, this is completely off topic but I love IKEA. I really do. I went there yesterday with my friend Claire and bought all sorts of neat things. A bookshelf, a clamp lamp, some things for the kitchen, bedsheets, a duvet cover, and pillow cases for the newly acquired pillows (courtesy of the Hitlon). Finally, I can have some order in my room.

Alright, it is 10am and I need to bustamove on the day. Graeme is having another bbq this afternoon. Normally, Sunday is a day of rest but not for me. After this bbq, I have to get cracking on finishing up the rest of Week 9 and start revising Week 8 and 7 (a bit ambitious but the day still has 14 hours in it).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Veevek, do you know that Shantaram is becoming a movie, also, Johnny Depp will be playing the lead role!
Bhavisha

Noa said...

I don't actually think that the IKEA comment is that random. I mean, if you like H&M, it's a quasi-logical inference that you like IKEA. And yes, Christine, I am witness, he stole the pillows from the Hilton. grrr, what morals....

Anonymous said...

So you mentioned everyone on Senior Staff except me :-(.....Even after our scandalous pictures together!! I still love you anyway...I tried to take a pillow, but I had an insane amount of stuff to take home....

Love and Hugs, Amierah

Anonymous said...

i am addicted to this website. please post something before i explode....and i'm shocked like everyone else that u stole a pillow. its a pillow. how special could it be?!

milli

Veevek said...

Amierah,
I am so sorry for not including you! It was a grave oversight on my part. You will always be my favourite Egyptian. :)

Anonymous said...

in Veevek's defense, they are really comfortable.

Am