Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Another voyage...

Aside from all the things going on here in Brisbane, I've already planned my next major trip abroad. After my last final exam (October 26th), I'll be off to Delhi, India! I got accepted to do a 4-week medical student elective at St. Stephen's Hospital. I'll be starting on November 7th and going until December 2nd. I can't wait! The last time I was in Delhi was in 1994 and my experience was a bit jaded due to the run-around my family and I got from staying with some family friends.

Ever since my brother came back from living in Delhi, he had changed - for the better. He always had these stories, such that during dinner or drinks, he would tell me and other company about a particular storewalla or the traffic officer on the corner of the road that he lived on. As trivial as these stories may sound, they are a part of a bigger picture. What is that picture? That picture is knowing what makes my brother think, knowing what makes his heart beat - essentially, it's getting to know him. I know that that city has a very special place in his heart. A part of me thinks that by seeing what he has seen and to be in the same space that he was, will help me to see things how he has. We often don't see eye-to-eye on social issues but I guess that that is due to the fact of our experiences and how we understand the world (granted, his understanding puts mine to SHAME, albeit I would consider myself to be quite a learnt person in that regard).

Not only will this trip be good in terms of progressing my medical education but it will be the first time that I'm going to India without my parents being there. A cousin of mine will be getting married (one cannot go to India without going to a wedding) and the month of November is especially important because Diwali (Festival of Lights) will be going on. The last time I was in India for Diwali was in 1994 and I've so many fond memories of that time.

A number of other students from UQ will be going to the same hospital. It will be interesting to see how my fellow colleagues will react to the litmus test that India is so famous for. Most of them have been outside of Australia, but only to places like New Zealand and Western Europe. I'm going to have some sort of cross-cultural training workshop for them...as many of them are going to need to do a lot of mental preparation for what they are about to embark on.

Speaking of embarking on a journey, I need to traverse the dangerous passage of learning about cancer - and my midmorning coffee is ready.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Veevek, does your leaving to india mean that you won't be able to come to calgary during the winter?

Veevek said...

Don't worry, I'll be back in YYC for Christmas and New Years - almost 3 weeks. :)

Anonymous said...

when u're in calgary dont forget to give me a shout! we must meet up for slurpees and 'brain freeze'. :)

Anonymous said...

Veevs!

So exciting! This summer has flown by so quickly, that we will blink and you will be home for Christmas.

Anita

Anonymous said...

Also, you better start updating more often ... maybe with some pictures? :)

anita