Monday, July 03, 2006

Back to the grindstone

The starting of the second week of the second semester of second year. Apparently, our midyear exam results come out on Wednesday. Am I nervous? worried? sure a little. However, I know full well that it doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. I have had several discussions with other students, ad nauseum, about what it may mean. At the moment, we are in the middle of the pyschiatry block and it's definitely much harder than I thought that it would be. Sure, people may think that it's all artsy-fartsy but there are some intricate systems and the interplay between systems that can make it complicated.

Oh - before I forget, I know that I am supposed to put up photos from my midyear post-exam festivities but I still haven't gotten my hands on any photos. Leanne had heaps of photos on her camera; in fact, they told a story of the night. However, her photos got wiped cleaned. Shit. Hopefully, some photos will surface.

Back to the grindstone is it. I'm off to Perth on Thursday morning for the Australian Medical Students' Association - Developing World Conference. I'll be back late on Monday night. I know that some people that are reading this are thinking, 'why are doing all this travelling knowing full well that you will be missing more uni in about 1.5 months?' Yes, it's true. I know that I am taking a small risk by missing a few classes - but at the end of they day, I know that I will make up for it all. Besides, at the moment, I'm trying to get into the habit of studying as if I will not have the chance to study whilst being overseas (even though I will be bringing my notes and some small key texts with me). I know that a good friend of mine thought that way before she went back to Canada for her brother's wedding. When she got back, she only had less than two weeks before the midyear; meanwhile, I will have almost two months before my finals.

-EDIT-

It's Monday morning and I fly out late this afternoon back to Brisbane. The weekend has been absolutely fantastic! First off, Perth is an absolutely beautiful city. People are extremely friendly, plenty of things to do and see, and (to my pleasant surprise) a very multicultural city. The Developing World Conference's theme this year was "Telling Truths" and it was the common thread that brought all the speeches, presentations, workshops, and plenary sessions together. I ran into old friends from last year's DWC, which was held in Syndey and met new ones. It was so comforting to be in an environment where there are like-minded individuals, and the common thing thread that runs through every person is the fact that they care about the state of healthcare in the developing world (and within Australia).

I got my results from my midyear examination - and I passed! WOOHOO! However, I didn't do as well as I wanted to do and apart from knowing my stuff better, I don't know how I can change my study tactics. Suggestions?

Alright, I'm running out of time and I need to get on to explore more of this city!

Until next time...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I love you and miss you very much....

love, amierah

Anonymous said...

Veevs - I wrote a long comment - telling you about some interesting things and thanking you for that gignormous entry - then blogger deleted it - but I suppose you will just have to hear all of it in person :D

The world's only other planned city is Chandigarh! You wouldn't believe it when you see it - its like a little slice of complete order in the comfortable chaos that is India.

Also, I talked to your mom on Friday - she will come visit me this week - ps: she's hilarious - she called herself a "funky mom" :D

Tentative itenerary shows us in Brisbane by Aug 7th or 8 - keep your eyes open!

A