Sunday, March 06, 2005

Ready...steady...go!

It's been a while since I have been able to post as I have been studying and revising for an exam, albeit a practice one, and trying to be on top of my game in terms of the course work. On that note, I am not on top of my game in terms of course work - I still have a fair bit of work left to do on the stomach, small intestines and colon.

From the last entry, I promised that I would write about Sports Day. Okay, I am sure that I have written about Sport's Day in previous entries (in fact, I know I have. If you don't remember, I ask you to scroll down and read them again before proceeding further). The night prior to Sport's Day, I went to the Royal Exchange Hotel's infamous annual Toga Party. Initially, I wasn't going to go because I wanted to be well rested for Sports Day and make sure that I can get enough work done so that I didn't feel guilty losing an entire day's worth of work towards my social development learning. :) I went toga shopping with Celia (she's in my course) in the CBD. We were looking for a gold fabric as she thought that that would suit me best. At the fabric store, she jokingly picked up a bright fuschia bolt of fabric and said that this would be better. And what did Mr. Thankey do next? He bought two metres of that fabric! It was awesome. HAHAHAHAHAHA. However, at the actual toga party, I was dressed conservatively - some people were just hardcore toga enthusiasts! I guess there were somethings that I just wasn't meant to go all out for. :) Since the theme at the RE was Toga - the patrons were definitely all praying and prostrating to Dionysus - the Greek god of wine (in this case, alcohol in general). Matt, myself, Celia, Nabila, Katrina, Dana, Marlo (her sister and some mates of hers), Sherin, Vignesh, Bali, Claire, and Colleen had a great time! Those of that were in med (everyone for the exception of Claire, Colleen and Marlo's sister and mates) were gonna be hurting for tomorrow's Sports Day.

So, the morning comes and Veevek rubs the sleep out of his eyes - dresses in his recently 'acquired' scrubs and heads out to meet Claire (different Claire from above) to walk over to a barbeque for 9:30am. We buy some food (curried veggie sausages...mmmmm) and make our way to start the day with some good tucker in our belly. So, what was the first thing that I have for breakfast? Beer...yes, the carbohydrates were making their way through my system (still have to finish that learning objective for this week). I made sure that I ate more than my fill before heading over the the Regatta. At the Regatta, there was a large congregation of MBBS I in their scrubs and with jugs of beer and other drinks in their hands. I had a few beers and a couple spirits - nothing like jolting your alcohol metabolism to a quick and shocking start! Law John (he is from Western Australia and has an undergrad degree in Law) brought along a very dangerous weapon...a black marker! See, when you have clean scrubs (or any potential writing surface, it will be bound to come upon a black marker and someone will write something that will haunt you for quite some time). Pete, for example, was Dr. Assman (the name came from me - the Sienfeld episode where Kramer got the license plate "ASSMAN" was the inspiration), Law John was Dr. M.J.Jackson - Pediatrics, on the back on his top was written, "I love children, is that a crime?" So, what was mine? "Dr. V-MAN, OBY/GYN, "Vulva? Vagina? You decide" The upper years came running along Coronation Drive, following a (presumably) 4th year wielding the torch (similar to the Olympic torch). They came in for quick rehydration (or dehydration if you want to be specific) and we all headed off to St. Lucia campus, where the festivities will be held. Now, people have the choice of getting to St. Lucia by any means. You can take the ferry, bus, walk, run, in a trolley, drive, on the back of a donkey (or another class mate)...you get the picture.

Anyways, I was running with the alpha pack until I had to stop off at my place to drop off my mobile (I didn't need to talk to anyone or send texts today), get my sunglasses and take some medication before enjoying what the day had to offer. I ran most of the way to uni (which is about 3.5 km). I am telling you that running with some beer in your gut and the sun being at its highest point in the day can lead to TROUBLE!

After arriving at the Sports Day (held at one of the fields on UQ St. Lucia campus), there were heaps of people from all years enjoying themselves to beer, wine, snow cones, fairy floss (cotton candy) and a barbeque. There was a jumping castle, a live band, a dunking tank, and of course, a large open field to play games. I bought 5 drink tickets so that I can keep count of what I am drinking. I was a good boy because I didn't buy any more after that. :)

I did manage to get myself a haematoma (bruise for those that aren't familiar with medical jargon) above my right eyebrow. My mate Pete (imagine a 185cm teddy bear) went in the jumping castle with me. Pete justs towers above people - combine this with a jumping castle and he is an ANIMAL! So, Pete tackled me and took me down whilst giving me the people's elbow above my right eyebrow.

As for the sports, I didn't partake in them. People asked me but my response was to them, "if you want to see a short Indian man having an asthma attack on the field, then by all means I am game!" I had a great time meeting new people and having great conversations with them.

Sports Day was held from 1pm to 5pm. At 1pm, the School of Medicine purposely held a clinical symposium for the MBBS I students, knowing full well that Sports Day would be held. The UQMS (UQ Medical Society) had informed the SOM (School of Medicine) that this day would be Sports Day (on Fridays, we have the afternoon free from lectures, tutorials and practicals). So, it was a sign of protest that I didn't go to the Symposium. Apparently lots of students went to the symposium (good for them) and then came to the festivities afterwards.

At 5pm, I, along with some other mates, went to get a bite to eat before heading back to the Regatta for the evening festivities. After getting some food in the gut, I headed back to the Regatta with Law John and Ryan (a bloke from my PBL). There were a number of people, from our class, that were there. Most of them changed out of their scrubs into something a little more classier. I kept on my grass and beer/wine/spirit/sweat-stained scrubs...didn't want to ruin the charm (shyeah right). The night was spent dancing to some great tunes, sharing and making merry with my mates. Yes, there were some other things that went on - but I reckon that that is for those people that were involved and actually there. :)

I didn't get home until 2:45am on Saturday monring...good god - that was almost than 18 hours worth of 'making and having merry'. :) Ahh...the woes of being a student.

No comments: