Tuesday, November 14, 2006

One down...

It's almost 10:40pm and I've recovered from the first exam that we had today. The lead up to this exam has been like none other. I started studying for finals in the first week of October and increasing the intensity all the way through SWOT VAC. In fact, SWOT VAC was the most productive study I've done all year! (For those that are not familiar with Aussie lingo, 'SWOT VAC' is period of usually two-three weeks before exams where there are no lectures or tutorials so that students can prepare for their exams) Last year, I spent SWOT VAC with Lou at her house, plugging away on the one seat on her dining room table (It's the seat that I always take if no one else is on the table). This year, I spent it with Claire and Annabelle up in Springbrook. The study was productive, consistent and (almost) effortless. The last couple of days have been especially hard because there is only so much that you can learn and absorb (and only so much that the SOM can actually test you on). The propensity to do nothing is much higher in the days leading up to the exams. And living with other medical students that aren't so frazzled only helps to calm the nerves towards the lead up.

On the way to the exam, I was feeling a bit off. I know what I know (and what I didn't know could potentially bite me in the ass). When I got closer to the where the test was being held, I was feeling a bit sick in my stomach. In fact, a number of people that I spoke with were feeling the same way. I got into the exam and during the 10 minute perusal, I looked through the questions and didn't feel too shocked about what was ahead. However, when I started writing, the knowledge in my head went to the furtherest corners of my brain. I felt as if I was blind with the added task of grabbing straws. At one point, I seriously thought what would happen if I got up, ripped up the exam and ran screaming from the room! Yes, a bit melodramatic but true. I quickly got myself together and plugged through until I could no longer do anymore. I had an answer for everything (I left only one thing blank because I really didn't know what it was - it was only worth 1 mark). I got outside and felt like retching and in fact, I had to go down to the toilet and get some of the retches out of me. brutal. I felt as if I would be a very lucky man if I passed that exam. Most of the people that walked out of the exam were looking as if they have been gutted and then had to eat their entrails or something - sick. After having a great dinner with Lou, Claire and Annabelle at Quan Thanh (the new best place in Brisbane for Vietnamese), I felt centred and know that tomorrow is a new day. After talking it through with Dave and Suz, I reckon that we all had our issues with the exam. There is something to be said for going through an experience with a group of people and having persevered until the bitter end.

Now, I've several ethics essays to read and to go over respiratory, gastrointestinal, arrhythmias/valvular disorders and immune/infection/defence before tomorrow's exam.
I doubt that I will learn anything new, except for the fact that what I know I know. The important thing about tomorrow's exam is that it will be the last comprehensive year-long exam that I will have to write in my medical school career! The next time that I will have to write a comprehensive exam will be when I sit my speciality exams, which won't be for quite some time. The plan for tomorrow night is to have some dinner with some friends, have a few glasses of wine and watch as many episodes of Season 3 NIP/TUCK. Thursday will be a long day of clinical skills preparation for the clinical exam on Saturday morning.

One down...two more to go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Beeb, keep on going. And remember, it's not how good you are, it's how bad you want it. At least that's what I keep telling myself in the lead-up to my own horrid exams.

love you bunches!
Ruth