Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Medical Specialty Aptitude Test

A friend emailed me a Web site for the University of Virginia's Health System. More specifically, the link took me to where I can take a online test to see which medical specialty I am suited for. I've always been interested in paediatrics and infectious disease.

My top 5 were:
1. paediatrics
2. infectious disease
3. rheumatology
4. obstetrics & gynaecology
5. nephrology

Interesting...

Now, that I'm on this blog, I might as well give an update. :) Well, I've decided where I will be spending my week holiday. I'll be going to the tropical destination of Darwin! Darwin is the capital of the Northern Territory. Some people might be asking, "why are you going there?!" Well, there are a few reasons. One of my goals whilst being in medical school is to have travelled to all the state capitals and Canberra. So, going to Darwin makes some progress in that area. Since I am interested in infectious disease, Darwin is one of the best places in Australia to go and learn about it, as it is quite close to Asia and the tropical climate that it is 'blessed' with. It would be an interesting place to do my internship there (and I've been told by a number of people that they would see me doing tropical medicine and being in Darwin). The most important reason is that one of my best friends, Ruth, will be there as well. She is completing her paediatrics rotation up at the Royal Darwin Hospital; also, a number of her friends, that I became friends with when I went to Adelaide last year, are also doing their clerkship up there. It will be a great reward for completing my exam, which will be finished in 1 week and 1 hour from now. So much stuff left to revise...slowly but surely (or at least that is what I keep telling myself).

Alright, back to the books. This time, I'm starting cardiovascular...anyone up for learning about arrhythmias? :)

1 comment:

Chad said...

This is great!